No Guru, no Method…..

In the last few weeks I’ve had a number of emails from potential clients asking what “methods” I use for training. Well, I just responded to another one of those emails and thought it’s time to put my response in the blog.

So, here is the text of the email with just the name removed. I think it will clear things up for a lot of people on the “method” type of trainers and where we at Fidelio Dog Works fall in the continuum of dog trainers.


Well, to tell you the truth, I’m not a “method” trainer. I don’t subscribe to a single method or rigid dogma. I’ve found over my years of training, especially working with clients who came from other trainers, that the “only one way” trainers can help about 60% of their clients. The other 40% of time, their “method” doesn’t work either for the dog or for the owner.

What I try to do with Fidelio is to find out what goals you have for your dog and then work within a framework you are comfortable with to achieve those goals. As a couple of examples, I’ve had clients in the past have insisted on NEVER having a leash on their dog, and others insist on only positive methods, while still others who insist on using remote collars. All of these are valid methods and I’ve got no issue with any of them as long as the clients are willing to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each. Every owner needs to understand that some techniques take longer and require more practice and repetition than others. It’s just the nature of training. The thing that’s most important for us at Fidelio is to make sure that the relationship between you and your dog is strong.

With all that being said, I’m familiar with and implemented most of the major “Method training” and Techniques out there, and will be happy to work with you using any approach you would like to try. Or, if you need guidance, we can discuss things together and map out a strategy that works for everyone.

As a final note, dog training is an exercise in repetition. There is no way to get a well behaved dog without practice, patience, and lots and lots of repetition.

All my best,

Steve Haynes
Austin Dog Trainer
Fidelio Dog Works